[BEEPbuilders] Defining Beep Interoperability Tests (Echo first?)

Gabe Wachob gwachob@wachob.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:28:17 -0700 (PDT)

You read my mind, Bob.

BTW, your proposal actually tests much more than the Echo profile (at
least steps 2 and 3).

Essentially what your proposing is a form of functional regression
conformance testing, which is a great place to start.

Are there any other relatively simple profiles that are already well
specified we could import as functional test cases? One thing we want to
isolate is application-level issues (such as correctly processing and
forming message content-level XML) from library/infrastructure issues
(which we are interested in). ECHO probably doesn't work all the message
patterns (e.g. MSG/RPY, MSG/ANS/NUL, MSG/ERR) so we should also (in fairly
short order) find another profile (or invent a simple one) to get at least
minimal coverage of the message types. Again, the aim is to avoid
requiring a lot of application level implementation and complexity while
relatively fully excercising the libraries.

	-Gabe