[BEEPbuilders] questions about session release and channel close

David Kramer dkramer at apple.com
Mon Oct 23 12:07:28 PDT 2006

Hi Simon,

> The first question concerns the session release. RFC 3080 is pretty
> specific about closing channels (section 2.3.1.3), but few
> guidelines are given for session shutdown (section 2.4).

Closing a session is the same as closing channel 0.  And although it
is tempting to treat channel 0 like any other channel, section
2.3.1.3 specifically excludes channel 0 from the remainder of that
section.

>   A BEEP library could disallow closing the session when there are
> still open channels. Then, releasing the session would be nothing
> else than closing channel 0 and then dropping the connection. This
> seems reasonable to me, but is that how it is meant to be? And how
> should a BEEP library behave when it receives a close for channel 0
> when there are still other open channels? Should it send an error
> element in a negative reply, thus denying the close of the session?
> How do existing BEEP frameworks handle this situation?

I believe this must be a policy decision made by the application
adopting the framework.  The framework should provide a mechanism,
either via a configuration setting, or a callback, for the
application to decide how to respond to a session-close request.

One policy the framework could implement is that a received session-
close request is only accepted if the receiver is legally allowed to
close all currently open channels.  In other words, a peer should
reject a session-close request if it has any open non-zero channels
for which it has sent unanswered MSGs.

> The second question is about closing channels. How should the
> following situation be handled? If both BEEP peers decide at about
> the same time to close a given channel, then it could happen that
> the two close messages cross in transit. How should this situation
> be dealt with? Intersting effects could arise if one party accepts
> the request and the other declines the other request to close the
> session.

If you have sent a close-session request and you receive a close-
session request, there is only one reasonable thing to do -- reply
"ok".  Any peer that rejects a close-session request it receives
while it has an outstanding sent close-session is at best behaving
pathologically.  Note that as soon as you reply "ok" you are supposed
to close the TCP connection (assuming TCP) -- you are not allowed to
wait for the reply to your own request in that case.  Basically, when
you send a session-close request, you have a contract with your peer
that you will close the connection the moment you receive an "ok"
reply, and you must assume that if you receive an "ok" reply that the
other peer has already closed the connection.  Conversely, if you
receive a session-close request while waiting for a reply to your own
session-close request, then the remote peer is expecting that you'll
close the connection as soon as you reply "ok", so it has no
reasonable expectation that you would be listening even if it did try
to reject your session-close request.

Now, if channel 0 were treated like all other channels, then the only
correct behavior would be to reject the session-close request.  This
is because for a regular channel you can not legally reply "ok" to a
close request until you're received full replies for all of your
MSGs. But both peers will be waiting for the other's reply before
sending their own -- deadlock.  I believe this is why section 2.3.1.3
specifically excludes channel 0 from the rules.