[BXXPwg] Re: proposal for 1:N interactions

Marshall Rose mrose+mtr.netnews@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:00:20 -0700

> It is conceivable in the long-fat pipe scenario that 2^31 messages
> could be in use at the same time by a channel?

everything's conceivable. this is just very unlikely

> Which, again, is a performance issue for long-fat pipes.  In
> particular, I am arguing at my company to use BXXP for a project where
> we want asynchronous communication between clients and the server, so
> that the server can return a delayed response to a request after some
> arbitrary processing.  This is equivalent to a long-fat pipe where the
> delay is unbounded, perhaps not a case you'd care to consider.  (You
> might suggest opening up a new channel for each request, since there
> is no requirement of synchronization between channels, but I'd prefer
> not to do this for complexity reasons.)

you can make any problem hard enough if you want. alternatively, you can
model a delayed response system by having two requests, one in each
direction. the first request says "go do this work and make a request of me
when you have the answer, identify the original request by using identifier
xxx".

/mtr