[BXXPwg] proposal for 1:N interactions

Marshall Rose mrose+mtr.netnews@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:49:45 -0700

> In other words, once the first ANS message has been sent in reply to
> a MSG, is it not possible to report an error with an ERR message?
>
> I note that RPY and ERR headers contain exactly the same information
> (except that they each have different header type codes).  I
> understand this is because it's 'nice' to have an indication in the
> header that a reply is an indication of an error as opposed to an
> indication of success.

hi. i guess i'd prefer to view ANS as 1:N positive responses rather than 1:N

ANS ... ANS ERR

and

ANS ... ANS RPY

would be errors according to the consistency rules.

if i get back an ANS, i'm thinking that things are happening and i'm getting
back positive stuff.

if i get back an ERR, i'm thinking that nothing happened whatsoever.

/mtr