[BXXPwg] closing channels

Steve Harris sharris@primus.com
17 Jul 2000 08:28:18 -0700

"Sarveshwar Rao Duddu" <duddu@vsnl.com> writes:

[...]

> Is there any way to close a channel after it has been started?

It seems that the answer is intentionally "No," possibly to simplify
implementation. Each peer can really only start 126 channels, since 0
is reserved and each peer is limited to even or odd channels.

I wondered about this too, but then I realized that channels can be
thought of as "states" (in the security authorization example) or
parallel conversations on the same "topic." In the latter case, there
may be several channels running the same profile. In either case, 126
sounds like a reasonable limit on what you'd want to do with a single
socket connection.

Still, your question deserves a more authoritative answer than mine.

--
Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.