[BXXPwg] Multiple sequence frames

Graham Klyne GK@dial.pipex.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:28:19 +0100

At 01:17 AM 7/18/00 -0700, Marshall Rose wrote:
>we should probably add something to the tcpmapping document that explicitly
>doesn't let a receiver reduce their window. my reading of the existing spec
>says you can't do this because before you can send a SEQ you have to reserve
>the buffer space, but maybe the phrase "accepts responsibility" means
>different things to different people...

Hmmm...  it seems legitimate to me to reduce a window, provided that the
receiver can still handle any outstanding data legitimately sent according
to the then-current window values.  I.e. if the window is reduced, buffer
space may be reclaimed only as data is received.

This may require some slightly fancy implementation footwork, but only for
receiving systems that allow the window size to be reduced.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)