[BXXPwg] Multiple sequence frames

Steve Harris sharris@primus.com
20 Jul 2000 08:39:42 -0700

Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com> writes:

> Some of the text in RFC 1122 regarding TCP windows might be helpful here:
>
> 4.2.2.16  Managing the Window: RFC-793 Section 3.7, page 41
>
> A TCP receiver SHOULD NOT shrink the window, i.e., move the right
> window edge to the left.  However, a sending TCP MUST be robust
> against window shrinking, which may cause the "useable window" (see
> Section 4.2.3.4) to become negative.
>
> If this happens, the sender SHOULD NOT send new data, but SHOULD
> retransmit normally the old unacknowledged data between SND.UNA and
> SND.UNA+SND.WND.

[...]

But, as we've discussed, BXXP will not mandate a retransmission
queue. Therefore, I would consider retransmission beyond what's
reasonable to implement. In my current thinking, I'd probably just
close the connection, because I'm not even sure that a retransmission
would satisfy BXXP's frame consistency checks.

--
Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.