[Fwd: Re: [BXXPwg] default charset]

Marshall Rose mrose+mtr.netnews@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:16:56 -0700

hi. when you asked what the default charset is for bxxp, i asked what you
thought the default charset is for mime. you indicated that the MIME headers
are in US-ASCII. this misses the point of my question.

maybe i should have asked the question differently: what is the default
charset for MIME content? the answer is that it depends on what kind of
thing MIME is carrying, and depending on that thing, the question may be
nonsensical (e.g., what is the default character set for image/gif?).

a bxxp profile defines the messages that get exchanged. maybe those messages
are represented using xml, maybe not. so, i'd say that it's up to the
profile definition.

the only guidance that bxxp gives is for profiles that are xml-based: you
can find it in section 2.2.2 of the framework document. it explains why you
don't have to have either XML or DOCTYPE declarations (binding a profile to
a channel tells you this). i suppose we can add another line in there about
the default character set being utf-8 and how to change that if you must.

i would really prefer to avoid having to use an <?xml ... ?> declaration for
this purpose, since the it means that everyone has to be able to parse it
even if no one uses it.

the alternative is to use Content-Type: in the MIME headers.

/mtr