[BXXPwg] Whither serial and seqno?

Greg Hudson ghudson@MIT.EDU
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 14:17:00 -0400

> At any point of time, multiple requests can be running on a single
> or multiple channels.  So there should be some way for the sender to
> associate the frame he is sending with a request. So we have the
> serial number.

This is simply incorrect.  Within a channel, responses must come in
the same order as requests do.  So, as with, say, pipelined SMTP, no
serial number is needed to associate requests with responses.

> The receiver sends a SEQ frame with this new window size.  If we
> dont have sequence number in the frame, then should the receiver
> associate this with (1) or with (2) (see above)?

Sure, it serves a purpose in the SEQ frame (perhaps SEQ should just
have ackno+window instead of both, but there's no compelling argument
either way).  But not in the REQ or RSP frames as far as I can tell.