[BXXPwg] issues list for pittsburgh meeting

Dave Crocker dcrocker@brandenburg.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:42:22 -0700

At 03:36 PM 7/25/00 -0700, Marshall Rose wrote:
>i think this is a pretty cool idea. it shouldn't add any extra complexity

Just to raise a counterpoint for consideration:

         I've come to mistrust defaults, especially "type" defaults.  There
is a long-term tendency for one environment or another to change the
default and their data gets out, unlabeled.

         One might, of course, just dismiss this as
non-conformance.  That's what the email world has done.  It is not seem a
productive response.

         The overhead of ALWAYS including the type information is
tiny.  The extra bit of robustness is significant.

         If you are going to have defaults, then yes, make them per
profile.  Better is not to have them.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA