[BXXPwg] Message Number Implementation issue

Gabe Wachob gwachob@wachob.com
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:14:01 -0500

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 06:53:32AM -0800, Marshall T. Rose wrote:
> > Section 2.2.1.1 (of the -07 framework I-D) says "the message number must
> > ... have a different value than all other "MSG" messages for which a reply
> > has not been completley received". By glaring lack of any mention about
> > uniqueness within a Channel, I assumed that this meant that uniqueness
> > for message numbers was to be a requirement w/r/t to entire Session, not
> > w/r/t to each individual channel.
>
> you're right: it's ambiguous. what concise text would you recommend be added
> to remove the ambiguity?

Hmm. I would simply add a sentence to the effect that "This uniqueness
constraint only applies within a channel; duplicate message numbers may be used
on different channels simultaneously."

	-Gabe