[BXXPwg] BEEP vs. SOAP?

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen frystyk@microsoft.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:03:20 -0800

Unfortunately this is not an accurate picture of what SOAP is (which I pointed
out at the last IETF meeting in Pittsburgh) and I would urge the owner of the
page [1] to update it.

There is nothing in SOAP that talks about it being a tightly coupled RPC
system. It is a one-way message protocol that can (as many other protocols) be
used by applications that define certain programming models that can be as
tightly or as loosely coupled as one desire.

Saying that a protocol like SOAP implies tightly coupling is based on a
misconception of what makes an application tightly or loosely coupled.

Btw, SOAP is in no way limited to being used in combination with HTTP. As an
example, SOAP can quite easily be used in combination with MIME multipart -
there is a small spec describing how this can be done at

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/HTTP-A/SOAPAttachments16OCT00.htm

It's one of the few specs that prides itself of not inventing anything new.

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
mailto:frystyk@microsoft.com

[1] http://bxxp.org/bxxp/info/qanda.jsp