[BXXPwg] q: flow control in TCP mapping

j h woodyatt jhw@wetware.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:54:12 -0800

friends--

The language in Section 3.1.4 Use of Flow Control in draft-ietf-beep-mapping-04.txt has me a little confoozled.  Specifically, the third bulleted paragraph has me scratching my head:

- each time a message is received, a SEQ frame should be sent whenever the window size is at least one half of the available buffer space (if the transport service presents multiple messages to a BEEP peer simultaneously, then a single consolidating SEQ frame may be sent).

It seems to me that I should consider whether to send a SEQ frame each time a frame is received, not just when I receive a complete message.  If the message is too large to fit in the window I've advertised, I might get a frame with a continuation indicator and the peer would then be waiting for me to extend the window enough to receive the next frame in the message.

Am I failing to comprehend the recommendation, or is the recommendation in need of revision? Suppose it were to read like this:

- a SEQ frame should be sent whenever a data frame is received and the window size is at least one half of the available buffer space; if the transport service presents multiple data frames to a BEEP peer simultaneously, then a single consolidating SEQ frame may be sent).

Can someone please help me identify what is the important concept I'm failing to grasp?

--james