[BXXPwg] Extensible trailers

Greg Hudson ghudson@mit.edu
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:03:19 -0400 (EDT)

Marshall reported the following suggestion for extensible trailers:

>     trailer = *(directive CR LF) "END" CR LF
>     directive = atom *(SP word)

This would seem to compromise the value of the trailer as a
consistency check, and would also seem to compromise the readability
of the protocol in certain cases.  (That is, without counting bytes,
it will often be difficult to tell where the data part of a frame ends
and where the trailer begins.

So if we're going to do this, I might suggest something more along the
lines of:

	trailer = END CR LF *(directive CR LF) CR LF
	directive = atom *(SP word)

> it was noted that if the framing format is going to support new
> features, then it probably needs some place to put options,
> parameters, etc. the logical place is in the trailer.

Why is the logical place in the trailer and not in the header?