[BXXPwg] Keep-alive proposal

Keith McCloghrie kzm@cisco.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:59:39 -0700 (PDT)

I suggest that it depends on what you want to test:

1) the underlying transport layer's connectivity, or
2) connectivity to the peer application.

It's only #2 which needs something at the application layer.  Below,
you specifically ask for #1, for which it's better to use what the
transport layer already provides, and TCP has a "keep-alive" (see
section 4.2.3.6 of RFC 1122).

Keith.