[BXXPwg] Multichannel Protocol Design

Ward Harold wharold@tivoli.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:18:56 -0600

If I'm designing a protocol with command and data channels, e.g.,
commands flow from the initiating peer to the listener and data flows
back from the listener over one or more data channels, I assume the
obvious approach would be to create command and data profiles for the
respective channels. Having done that what is the obvious approach to
coordinating channel creation and interaction, i.e., making sure that
data channels get created as necessary, that the data requested gets
delivered, etc.? Is it correct to say that beyond the channel management
mechanism BEEP doesn't provide any explicit support for this aspect of
protocol design?

... WkH