[BXXPwg] SOAP over BEEP

Marshall T. Rose mrose+mtr.netnews@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:23:00 -0700

hi. i don't think it makes sense to talk about a BEEP URL, because BEEP, by
itself, isn't a protocol like HTTP or FTP or SMTP is.

i suspect there is some general "issue" in the URL architecture that needs
to get resolved before we will find a satisfactory answer to the question.
for example, in the case of wsdl or soap or ipp or whatever, i can always
say

        http://example.com/

but how is anyone to know that the http server there is really a front-end
to wsdl or soap or ipp? my point is that there's something semantic going on
here that isn't visible in the URL, instead you somehow have to know from
context that if you see a URL inside a certain kind of message then there's
an expectation that a special kind of process is sitting at the http server.

i noted that the wcip draft says this about naming:

    wcip://" domain-name ":" port "/" channel-name "?proto=beep"

but you could just as easily have "?proto=http" tacked onto the end.

i'm not suggesting that this is the "right way" but it does bear some
thinking.

/mtr