[BXXPwg] SOAP over BEEP

Bill Mills wmills@invisibleworlds.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:04:06 -0700

I am perfectly willing to believe that things would break.

I had thought that "beep:soap://example.com/" to be valid
construction of a URL per 1738, is this not the case?

-bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy T. Fielding [mailto:fielding@ebuilt.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 6:35 PM
To: Gabe Wachob
Cc: Bill Mills; 'Marshall T. Rose'; bxxpwg@invisible.net; Eamon
O'Tuathail
Subject: Re: [BXXPwg] SOAP over BEEP

No, absolutely not.  URNs would have been deployed seven years ago if
the authors hadn't insisted on adding a colon to the syntax.  You have
no idea how many systems you would break simply by choosing

   beep:soap://example.com/

over

   soap.beep://example.com/

They may seem the same, but the first requires an algorithm change in
every deployed piece of Web software, whereas the second just requires
the addition of a plug-in handler.

Also, it is soap.beep (not beep.soap) to preserve the hierarchical ordering.

....Roy