[BXXPwg] SOAP over BEEP

Kurt D. Zeilenga Kurt@OpenLDAP.org
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:41:25 -0700

At 06:52 PM 6/15/2001, Dan Kohn wrote:
>So, my strawman proposal is:
>
>+ Any given beep profile is welcome to define it's own URL scheme
>+ Such a scheme should define it's transfer semantics as based on beep
>(e.g., ice, imxp), so there's no need for "beep" to appear in the URL
>scheme name.
>+ Use of alternate transport layers are negotiated upon invocation of
>the URL.  This implies that all beep servers need to implement at least
>a stub TCP implementation to negotiate over to SCTP, TLS, etc.  However,
>it's hard to imagine a more prevalent lowest common denominator than TCP
>support.
>+ A default beep URL scheme should not be registered, since invocation
>of a beep URL has no default semantics.

This sounds like a fairly reasonable proposal.

I note that LDAPext had a discussion about how to construct
URL for various LDAP mappings.  While URLs which explicitly
specify a mapping can be useful:
        ldap.tcp://example.net/
        ldap.udp://example.net/
        ldap.sctp://example.net/
        ldap.beep://example.net/
        ldap.beep.sctp://example.net/
        ldap.beep.tcp://example.net/

It is often advantageous just to say:
        ldap://example.net/

and let the client figure out the best way to locate the
service.  A client can use DNS SRV or other means (including
querying the service over the default mapping) to determine
which mappings are supported.

Kurt