[BXXPwg] SOAP over BEEP

Gabe Wachob gwachob@wachob.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:48:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Marshall T. Rose wrote:

> i'll pass. this is abstracting the wrong thing. beep isn't a protocol or a
> service. it doesn't make sense to specify a url scheme for it.

I think I started this thread, so let me say thats its become clear that
what I was really asking about (though in my fuzzy thinking I may not have
actually stated such) was how to pass around an endpoint descriptor - for
example, to configure an application to talk to a particular BEEP
listener.

Its become clear from this discussion, at least to me, that in almost any
use case I can come up with, all that is really needed is a hostname/ip &
port number (for TCP binding). The application consuming this endpoint
descriptor will presumably know whats there; if it didn't know what
profile to use there, how could it be doing anything useful.

In other words, for a given endpoint, I don't see a situation where the
profile to be used (or profiles) isn't implied by the context in which the
endpoint is being used.

Thus, no real need for URLs except something very basic like
beep:<hostname>:<port>

Counterexamples?

	-Gabe