[BXXPwg] Updated strawman for BEEP protocol URIs

Dan Kohn dan@dankohn.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:40:50 -0700

Yep, that's what I'm suggesting.

TCP to SCTP seems like it could become common in addition to TCP to TLS.
My original strawman suggested not to bother with a transport token in
the URL, since you can always negotiate it later.  But, one can imagine
circumstances (say IMXP) where the listener supports both secure and
insecure modes, but the webpage embedding the IMXP URL wants the
initiator to start off secure.  Without the tls token in the URL,
there's no way to be sure that the initiator will bother to upgrade.
This is analogous to the situation with http vs. https today.

Although one could do different URL schemes for each transport, there's
no obvious benefit to doing so, and it's a pain in terms of requiring
multiple registrations.  Also, URL schemes for all BEEP profiles are
upward compatible with new transport mappings (e.g., BEEP over DNS)
simply by having the transport mapping RFC specify an additional
transport token.

Finally, the fact that port may not be meaningful in certain transports
is already handled by the fact that it's optional.

		- dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@dankohn.com>
<http://www.dankohn.com/>  <tel:+1-650-327-2600>