[BXXPwg] Redirect Feature for BEEP (continued...)

Marshall T. Rose mrose+mtr.netnews@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:24:34 -0700

> After having sent such a greeting, a BEEP peer could then respond to a
> start message with and error message something like the following:
>
>       S: ERR 0 1 . 264 127
>       S: Content-Type: application/beep+xml
>       S:
>       S: <error code='421'>service not available</error>
>       S: <redirect fqdn='foo.bar.com' port='3333' />
>       S: END
>
> Such an error message would inform the Peer that issued the start
> message that while the channel cannot be started on the target system,
> it might succeed if retried on the foo.bar.com system. If the
> unavailability of the service on the target system is temporary, the
> redirect would be attached to an error message with code 421. If the
> unavailability is believed to be permanent, the error code would be 521.

hi. while we're discussing the finer details, could you give me an example
or two as to how this would be used in practice. i understand how redirects
work with the web and what they're used for. i'm just having difficulty
crossing the chasm on this one.

thanks,

/mtr