[BEEPwg] Query related with message ordering on a channel.

Alok Gupta alokgupta@firstrain.com
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 01:16:39 +0530

--------------384A59D97C2016730601606A

Hi,

I have a query related with the ordering of the replies on a channel in
a BEEP session.

The RFC 3080 says that on a channel, the messages MUST be processed in
the same order as they were received and then the replies to those
messages MUST be generated in the same order. My question is that the
processing time for all the  message will not be same so why hold the
replies for the messages which have been processed before the reply is
ready for the previously received messages.

Please refer to the  RFC 3080 in the following sections:
Section 2.6.1

     "...........A BEEP peer acting in the server role must process
     all "MSG" messages for a given channel in the same order as
     they are received.  As a consequence, the BEEP peer must
     generate replies in the same order as the corresponding "MSG"
     messages are received on a given channel......... "

Section 2.6.1

     "............A BEEP peer acting in the server role may process
     "MSG" messages received on different channels in any order it
     chooses.  As a consequence, although the replies for a given
     channel appear to be generated in the same order in which the
     corresponding "MSG" messages are received, there is no
     ordering constraint for replies on different
     channels..........."

Either I have not followed the point properly or this is an unnecessary
requirement from the BEEP protocol.

Could anybody explain this?

Thanks,
Alok Gupta.

--------------384A59D97C2016730601606A

Hi,
in a BEEP session.
in the same order as they were received and then the replies to those messages
MUST be generated in the same order. My question is that the processing
time for all the&nbsp; message will not be same so why hold the replies
for the messages which have been processed before the reply is ready for
the previously received messages.
all "MSG" messages for a given channel in the same order as they are received.&nbsp;
As a consequence, the BEEP peer must generate replies in the same order
as the corresponding "MSG" messages are received on a given channel.........
"</i></blockquote>
<b>Section 2.6.1</b>
"MSG" messages received on different channels in any order it chooses.&nbsp;
As a consequence, although the replies for a given channel appear to be
generated in the same order in which the corresponding "MSG" messages are
received, there is no ordering constraint for replies on different channels..........."</i></blockquote>