[BEEPwg] Underspecifications in RFC 3080? (profile content, SWS avoidance)

Jered Floyd jered@permabit.com
30 Oct 2001 13:43:00 -0500

"Marshall T. Rose" <mrose+mtr.netnews@dbc.mtview.ca.us> writes:

> perhaps a good solution is to add a new value for the encoding attribute
> that specifies that the piggyback is a MIME object that has been encoded
> (headers and all) with base64.

This is certainly plausible, however if that's the solution I wish we
didn't have the "encoding" attribute on profile at all; the content
could have been a MIME body in itself, with the same default text
encoding and content transfer encoding as a normal BEEP+XML payload.
Unfortunately, such a change would not be backwards compatible.

Perhaps the additional encoding attribute should be "mime", indicating
the content is a MIME document, and the "base64" attribute should be
depricated in favor of "mime" with a Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
header?

--Jered