[BEEPwg] Underspecifications in RFC 3080? (profile content, SWS avoidance)

Jered Floyd jered@permabit.com
30 Oct 2001 13:48:37 -0500

> > I believe that BEEP is vulnerable to SWS.
>
> RFC 3081 section 3.1.4 says:
>
>    o  each time a frame is received, a SEQ frame should be sent whenever
>       the window size that will be sent is at least one half of the
>       buffer space available to this channel; and,
>
> I believe this provides SWS avoidance.  The section also references
> the parts of RFC 1122 which deal with flow control.

This only fulfills the recipient's responsibilities to SWS avoidance.
(RFC 11.22, Section 4.2.3.3.)  I believe that RFC 3081 should also
explicitly state the sender's responsibilities as well. (Section
4.2.3.4) While the above quote from RFC 3081 allows to recipient to
discourage sends from the peer when little window space is available,
nothing in the RFC discourages the sender from (in general) sending
small payloads.  The sender's responsibilities were important enough
to mention in RFC 1122, and so I think they're important enough to
mention in RFC 3081 as well.

--Jered