[BEEPwg] Re: Underspecifications in RFC 3080? (profile content, SWS avoidance)

Chris Laas ctl@permabit.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:02:24 -0500

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 12:09:15AM -0500, Jered Floyd wrote:
> Consider the situation where content is provided, and the "encoding"
> attribute has the value "base64".  It is unclear to me, from the above
> passage, in which character set the decoded data should be taken.  The
> intuitive answer is to claim that the decoded base64 data should be
> taken to be in the same character set as the enclosing MIME body.

I remain unconvinced that this is an ambiguity in the BEEP spec.  If
the "encoding" attribute does not have the value "base64", then the
content's character set is specified by the MIME type of the enclosing
message, and the content is passed to the application as characters.
If the "encoding" attribute is "base64", then the content is simply a
chunk of octets; it may be assumed to have the MIME type
application/octet-stream if it's convenient.  Where is the ambiguity?

--Chris