[BEEPwg] Callback Profile

Gabe Wachob gwachob@wachob.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:55:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Eamon O'Tuathail wrote:
> A peer running on Windows XP Home can only maintain five simultaneous
> incoming connections, and a peer running on Windows XP Professional can
> only have 10 simultaneous incoming connections.
> [see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314882]
> There are no restrictions on Windows 2000 Server or Windows .NET Server
> on the number of incoming connections. For all the versions of Windows
> mentioned, there are no restrictions on the number of outgoing
> connections.

I think those numbers apply to netbios connections, not TCP connections.
While not personally testing this, I'm told that people routinely drop
servers on XP Pro and have > 100 simultaneous incoming TCP connections. If
this is true (and I do believe it is), this support bulletin is extremely
poorly written.

Are you seeing this limit behavior in practice?

Gabe Wachob                       gwachob@wachob.com
Personal                       http://www.wachob.com
Founder, WiredObjects    http://www.wiredobjects.com