[BEEPwg] DIME

Edd Dumbill edd@usefulinc.com
04 Feb 2002 10:28:24 +0000

--=-N711N2rLLfeBSXnBveyn

Hello BEEPers,

I just came across
http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=3Dind0202a&L=3Ddime&F=3D&S=3D=
&P=3D304
and more particularly

http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/xml_wsspecs/dime/draft-nielsen-dime-01.txt

[[[Abstract=20

     Direct Internet Message Encapsulation (DIME) is a lightweight,=20
     binary message format that can be used to encapsulate one or more=20
     application-defined payloads of arbitrary type and size into a=20
     single message construct. Each payload is described by a type, a=20
     length, and an optional identifier. Both URIs and MIME media type=20
     constructs are supported as type identifiers. The payload length is
     an integer indicating the number of octets of the payload. The=20
     optional payload identifier is a URI enabling cross-referencing ]]]

>From first glance this looks to be akin to BEEP framing, but I could be
wrong.  Another thought that occurred to me is that it's a way to get
rid of the issues sending binary objects with SOAP.

I'd be interested in the BEEP perspective on this I-D.

cheers

-- Edd

--=-N711N2rLLfeBSXnBveyn

--=-N711N2rLLfeBSXnBveyn--