[BEEPwg] caching and compression profiles?

Ryan Ripken ryan@silicondefense.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:59:42 -0700

Has anyone thought about writing a zlib profile to do gzip compression?
 What about a profile to do caching?  Is there any reason profiles like
this couldn't be created?

It seems like a compression profile would be straightforward and useful
enough that someone may have already done this.

In my case I would like to send a large amount of xml messages (IDMEF)
from a client to a server.  Using gzip I can usually get around 30x
compression.  I'd imagine that XMill or some other approach could do
better.  For security reasons I'd like to use the tls profile (actually
the idxp profile with tls).  Besides network bandwidth there are
performance and security reasons why compression is attractive.

  I could turn on compression in openssl in both the client and the
server machines but that is implementation specific and not general
 purpose.  I could also compress/decompress the messages in the
applications - but this ties clients to servers and kinda defeats the
purpose of using an open format like IDMEF.  I think a compression
profile would be the best solution and allow peers to negotiate a
compression profile when it is available on the client and the server.

I did a quick search and found a refernce to a suggestion for a
compression profile in the mailing list archive, whatever happened to
that idea?
If a compression profile could be written it wouldn't work very well
with small messages, that is where a caching profile might be useful -
cache messages and compress a bunch of them at once.

What do you people think?

Ryan