[BEEPwg] Soap Over Beep Question

Gabe Wachob gwachob@wachob.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:59:04 -0700 (PDT)

I think this is a legitimate issue for the SOAP/BEEP RFC.

Message exchange patterns is a hot discussion topic over at the XMLP WG,
and its not clear (at least to me) how the message pattern for a
particular message will be expressed. But no matter what, I would expect
that message patterns for each message type, even on a single BEEP
channel, could be different.

THUS, for a recipient peer to know which message pattern is intended,
there either a) has to be a way to express the desired message pattern at
the "transport" level (e.g. within a BEEP message/channel) or b) within
the message.

Thus, the SOAP/BEEP profile will either have to provide a facility for
communicating the intended message exchange pattern (a per-message
header?) or the recipient node will have to at least partially process the
incoming message to decide which messaging pattern is appropriate (and
whether a NUL or RPY response is appropriate).

Either way, it seems that the SOAP/BEEP RFC is inadequate here because it
assumes the recipient has knowledge of the messaging pattern for a
particular message without giving the recipient any chance to figure it
out.

	-Gabe