[BEEPwg] Some toughts about BEEP+DNS-SD/mDNS

Francis Brosnan Blazquez francis at aspl.es
Thu Jan 5 09:59:25 PST 2006

Hi there,

Some thoughts about BEEP+DNS-SD/mDNS (and maybe without link-local):

Stuart have pointed me to a new book he has written about zero conf
technologies and some comments on that area:

---
One of the problems we have right now is that there's almost too much
Bonjour/Zeroconf information on the web, and that can be a bit daunting
to a newcomer. Because of this I wrote an O'Reilly book to gather all
the
relevant information together into one concise volume. It just came out
the week before Christmas. There's a link at the
<http://www.zeroconf.org/> web site. Please feel free to forward this
the list if you feel it's appropriate.
---

Thinking about how Apple have mixed DNS-SD/mDNS with BEEP to produce
Xgrid (at least, maybe more products are over there) shows that they
are impressive partners for building peer-to-peer networked protocols.

This joining solves (as the Xgrind team have realized) nearly every
problem found on moderm networked applications: the power of the
peer-to-peer transaction supported by BEEP and the easyness to find
other computer and services as we were running on top of AppleTalk but
doing so on TCP/IP!

>From the conversation on this mailling list with Jonathan and Peter
that have permited to me to know such technologies (thanks you guys)
one could easily think this is a key area to promote as a fundation
for a new family of networked applications.

Cheers!

--
Francis Brosnan Blazquez <francis at aspl.es>
Advanced Software Production Line, S.L.