[BEEPwg] Some SEQ frame questions

David Kramer dkramer at apple.com
Thu Jan 5 10:46:29 PST 2006

> The way I read it was that the SEQ message says don't send me
> frames larger
> X. is that wrong?

Yes, that is incorrect.

I think I can make this clearer for everyone with an example.

When a channel opens, the receiving window size for both peer A and
peer B is 4096 bytes.  If peer A sends a frame with a payload of size
1024 to peer B, then peer B's receiving window size shrinks to 3072.
If peer A sends another frame with payload size 1024 to peer B, then
peer B's receiving window size shrinks further to 2048.  If peer B
never sends a SEQ frame, and peer A continues to send frames, then
peer B's receiving window size will eventually reach zero.  At this
point, if peer A sends any data to peer B, this is a protocol
violation and peer B immediately terminates the session.

What you need to understand is that the window shrinks with every
byte received.  The SEQ doesn't say "this is the maximum per-frame
size I'll accept whenever", it says "this is the total number of
bytes you may send me until I send you a new SEQ frame extending the
window."  For a window size of 4096 it could by 4096 1-byte frames,
or 1 4096-byte frame, or some combination in between.

Note that it is required for a BEEP stack to deal with SEQ frames in
the middle of a message.  For instance, if peer A wants to sends a
message that is 5000 bytes long, and peer B has a receiving window
size of of 4096, then peer A could send a frame no larger than 4096
bytes.  At this point, peer A still has 4 bytes left to send, which
it cannot do until it receives a new SEQ frame from peer B extending
with window by at least 4 bytes.  Therefore peer B needs to be able
to send SEQ frames in the middle of receiving the message, and peer A
needs to be able to receive SEQ frames in the middle of sending the
message.

This might be easier to understand if you consider what the reasoning
behind the SEQ frame is.  It is a mechanism for flow control.  It is
a way for peer B to say, I have only allocated a certain amount of
memory for receiving frames, so don't send me more than that until I
say it's okay.  If peer B wants to receive a message larger than the
window size, then peer B will have to send SEQ frame, which it will
do once it has allocated additional space to receive it.

Suppose peer A wants to send a large file to peer B, which peer B
will save to disk.  However, peer B doesn't have very much memory
available.  Therefore, peer B will advertise a small (4K) window, and
every time the window gets close to being filled, it will write out
all of the data from memory onto disk, and then grow the window back
to 4K.  This way peer B never requires more than a 4K buffer for
holding frame payloads but it can still receive a very large file.

Another tricky aspect of SEQ handling is that each channel of each
peer has it's own independent receiving window size.  Thus there are
two window sizes associated with each channel.  Each peer needs to
know the size of the window being advertised by the other, while at
the same time keeping track of the window it has advertised to the
other.  The former is important so that the peer doesn't send more
data than the other can handle, while the latter is important so that
the peer knows when it needs to send a SEQ to the other to re-extend
the window.

Another point which was made earlier is that the window may never be
shrunk by a SEQ frame.  The window is only, and always, shrunk as the
result of receiving data.  The sending peer needs to keep track of
how many bytes it sends and subtract that from the last advertised
window size, so that it never sends more data than can fit in the
window.  Likewise, the receiving peer needs to keep track of how many
bytes it receives and subtract that from the last window size it
advertised, so that it knows when the window is full and needs to be
re-extended.

-David Kramer