[ANN] Vortex Library 1.0.12 'Despite the neons' release is ready!
Francis Brosnan Blazquez
francis at aspl.es
Wed Dec 12 19:55:30 PST 2007
## Vortex Library 1.0.12 ##
## "Despite the neons release" ##
Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce the Vortex
Library 1.0.12 "Despite the neons" release availability: an open
source "BEEP Core" protocol implementation written in C, mapped onto
Vortex Library has been developed inside the Af-Arch project as its
data transport layer.
Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
development toolkit. Currently it is running under Microsoft Windows
and GNU/Linux platforms.
Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:
[Vortex Library homepage]
[Sources and Win32 binaries]
[Af-Arch homepage where Vortex Library is being developed]
[BEEP Core community web site]
[Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
The release in short
Many new interesting features like allowing to defer the decision to
create a channel (better integration with async client notifications
and GUI applications), functions to shutdown listeners (and
connections associated due to its function) and several API
Started a deep internal change to make the library to store all its
state (context) into an external object (VortexCtx). This will solve
some issues at the windows platform while using Vortex through
Turbulence. Moreover this change will allow to have several Vortex
Library context, with different states running inside the same
process. At this moment all changes introduced are limited to avoid
Current release will be the last one for 1.0.X series. The next
series will include an API update to make the library full
context-based. A change notification will be produced with the
The intention with this release is to finish an cycle, without
changing the API, providing a latest stable and tested release.
Benoit Amiaux (provided really useful comments and patches to improve
the library memory utilization, a portable implementation to destroy
threads and several minor fixings for the windows platform..thanks
dude, keep close ;-)
Changes since 1.0.11
* [fix] Applied Benoit Amiaux patch to make realloc functions to call
to axl defined implementation.
* [new] Updated vortex library start channel notification to allow
decoupling the notification from the the reply. Now the application
will be able to call vortex_channel_defer_start to signal vortex
engine to not reply at this moment. Later, a call to
vortex_channel_notify_start confirms if the channel is accepted to
be created. API added:
* [new] Added a new function to the vortex connection module that
allows to get a reference to the listener connection that accepted a
particular connection instance. API added:
* [fix] Making vortex_channel_notify_start to not require providing
the serverName value. It is internally stored by the channel until
it is used for the notification.
* [new] Updated vortex channel API to allow configuring a handler
which is called once the reference is going to be removed from the
connection. This allows to detect channels not closed because the
connection have failed. API added:
- VortexOnClosedChannel (handler)
* [fix] Making vortex_channel_notify_start to return a boolean value
reporting if the notification was done (no matter the value
* [fix] Making vortex channel on created notification to acquire a
reference to the channel during the notification to avoid losing the
* [fix] Updated vortex_listener_new/2/_full functions to include some
information about the references returned and the way a listener
could be closed (Reported by Benoit Amiaux).
* [fix] Committing more updates to the vortex listener documentation.
* [fix] Deep internal change to make vortex engine to hold all its
library state into an object. This will allow to solve some issues
at the windows platform and the way private data is handled inside
* [fix] Making vortex support module to be initialized/terminated from
the vortex_init and vortex_exit to allow external modules to only
init the support module.
* [fix] More updates to make initialization of the context to be not
done directly from vortex_ctx_new but from each module called from
* [fix] Several updates to make vortex sequencer and vortex reader to
be fully driven by the VortexCtx received at vortex_reader_run and
* [new] Added missing API to destroy threads and fixed wrong vortex
reader and sequencer termination. Reported and fixed by Amiaux
Benoit. API added:
* [fix] Updated API to allow provided the VortexCtx to some functions
at the vortex io module:
- VortexIoIsSetFdGroup (handler)
- VortexIoDispatchFunc (handler)
- VortexIoDispatch (handler)
- vortex_io_waiting_invoke_is_set_fd_group (function)
- vortex_io_waiting_invoke_dispatch (function)
* [fix] Fixed wrong epoll set creation (twice created) making
allocated file sets to grow with the time reaching the process
limit. Fixed memory leak the vortex listener module (which wasn't
unreferring a queue expecting other thread to do so...). Updated
vortex log to not perform any operation if a context is not defined.
* [fix] Making xml-rpc-gen tool to include a reference to the file
that was used as source inside the body header.
* [new] Added to new symbols that allows to initialize the library
Making previous API (vortex_init, vortex_exit) to relay on these
function to provide backward compact.
* [new] Updated vortex listener module to include a function that
allows to shutdown a listener and all its associated connections
created due to its function. API added:
* [fix] Making vortex_listener_init to not acquire the mutex if it is
found that an initialization was already done.
* [fix] More fixings to the thread implementation, missing call to
release thread attribute (Reported and fixed by Benoit Amiaux).
* [fix] Making vortex_connection_remove_on_close_full to use
axl_list_remove_ptr rather axl_list_remove to *really* remove the
handler installed (Reported by Benoit Amiaux).
* [fix] Fixed missing BEGIN_C_DECLS declaration at vortex thread
module. Fixings to variables inside ctx for the windows platform.
Updates to the libvortex.def file. (Reported and fixed by Benoit
* [fix] making vortex_init_ctx to not configure the context
Advanced Software Production Line is leading the Af-Arch project: a
complete framework to develop distributed application to manage
Af-Arch project relies on Vortex Library to exchange data between
its distributed nodes.
Advanced Software Production Line also provides GNU/Linux support
and consulting services to help organization to introduce GNU/Linux
inside its process.
Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
and/or BEEP based development services.
You can reach us:
http://www.aspl.es - info at aspl.es
We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!
Francis Brosnan Blázquez - francis at aspl.es
Advanced Software Production Line - http://www.aspl.es
12th dec 2007, Madrid (Spain)
More information about the BEEPwg